Happy Sunday Guys!
Autumn Sundays are my favorite because if the weather permits, we normally tend to go on family trips and sight see the beautiful foliage of the Pennsylvania mountains.
Or we stay in and watch Sunday football.
Football is one of my favorite sports to watch, the addreline of the die-hard fans, tailgating, and the sport is just generally fun to watch.
Although today’s recipe doesn’t necessarily go hand in hand with Sunday night football. It does go nicely on a chilly, autumn day.
Today’s feature meal will be oven roasted chicken.
So let’s start out with a nice, whole bird.
Before beginning to season the meat, I remove the gizzards and rinse the chicken with cold water.
Then with a sharp knife I slightly detach the skin of the chicken from the meat and cut slits in the skin.
I do this to ensure the seasoning not only stays on the skin, but really gets coated of the meat as well.
I then squeeze about 1 whole lime all over the chicken and add a very small pinch of cayenne pepper.
Letting the chicken sit and marinate I cut up some yellow potatoes, onions, and carrots to place inside and around the chicken while in the oven.
The seasonings for my oven chicken is extremely simple but very flavorful.
Gotta have my favorite soy sauce and Goya Sazón.
I also mince a whole garlic, add black pepper, and the most important part of this dish is the roasted garlic and herb seasoning.
I rub all the seasonings (expect the garlic) all over the bird and inside the cavity.
Then with the minced garlic I add it in between the skin and meat.
- 30 minutes
- 2 hours
- 1 Whole Chicken
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Packets Goya Sazón
- 2 Tbs (or more depending on size of your chicken) of Garlic Herb Seasoning
- 1 Whole Minced Garlic
- 2 Carrots, cut in pieces
- 2 Potatoes W/ Skin, cut in pieces
- 1 Yellow or White Onion, cut in pieces
- 1 Lime
- Pinch of Cayenne
- Preheat oven to 385°F
- Remove gizzards, rinse chicken with cold water
- Slightly remove skin from meat and cut slits into skin
- Add lime juice and cayenne
- Cut vegetables
- Add dry seasonings to chicken and rub into skin, meat, and cavity
- Add minced garlic in between skin and meat, add remaining into cavity
- Move chicken into cooking pan (aluminum or glass) and add vegetables inside cavity and around chicken
- Cook chicken for 1 hour covered with aluminum foil
- Carefully remove aluminum foil and cook for another hour uncovered
- Once chicken is done remove and let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the juices to sink in